Sunday, January 24, 2010

Why a good answer is the best answer

When I was a cub, one of my first mentors asked me what an Idea was. I probably said something like, “something you think up,” which isn’t necessarily a wrong answer, it just isn’t a very good one.

I’ve had a pretty good response for a while now, something along the lines of “A creative solution to a challenge.” Or even pithier, “A good answer.”

Yes, if a word, image, sound or action does a good job of taking a question or challenge and making it irrelevant, then it’s an answer. And what’s more valuable than that?

Engineers, scientists, doctors, Supreme Court Justices, they’re in the answer business. So are marketers. People pay money to see other people come up with an answer. Fighters answer the bell, batters answer pitchers. Laws answer problems, food answers hunger.

Love them as we may, baristas don’t really answer anything, which is why they may not be as valuable as you think.

Sometimes answers are not just inventive, but cool (I love that kind!) Sometimes they’re not simple.

But always, an answer is an idea. And when it’s a good idea, nothing feels better than coming up a good one. How do you know it’s a good one? I’ll write on that soon. But if you get tingly when you come up with one, it’s a good sign.

PS, If you have a favorite idea you want to share, please post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment