Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I’m not napping right now, but I could be.

Thanks to crowdsourcing, I could get someone else to do my work for me today, and then just take a long, peaceful nap. Crowds can do just about anything these days, from Wikiing to Flickring. Crowdspring has brilliantly christened themselves “The world’s largest creative department.”

And now if there’s a question you need answered, you can Aardvark your way there. Not the newest idea in the world, but I like this site because it twists the model so that it seems like a friend to friend system, vs. asking Jeeves or using some impersonal, computerized search engine. You sign up, you ask a question, you quickly get a bunch of answers from real people. I got an answer from an 80-year old chap in London whose personality jumped off the page in all of his wonderfully wry and long-life-lived wisdom. You’re also asked to answer others' questions, too. Quid pro quo, Clarice. I told someone in Miami looking for a romantic restaurant in Chicago to check out Geja’s. Old school, baby! Don’t worry, I made sure he knows he’ll come out smelling like a french fry.

It’s nice to see crowdsourcing being used by people who come to life in the process. It’s not just fulfilling, it’s enjoyable. And I can Aardvark all day long, while others do my work for me via all of the other crowdsroucing sites. In fact, I’m napping right now, as I write this. Well, not really, but I might just take a nap when I‘m done writing this. Highly unlikely, given the fact that I’m a ridiculously unrelenting boss of myself. But I could if I wanted, thanks to crowdsourcing.

By the way, if I was in Asia and wanted to take a nap, I’d go here. Now that's a place to nap.

And if anyone out there needs to know a great place for sushi in Rome, go here

2 comments:

  1. And how cool is it that you got a response from an 80 YEAR OLD!! An 80 year old Brit who probably huddled by a radio during the Battle of Britain is now crowdsourcing restaurant ideas across the pond.

    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He takes his children and grandchildren to a hip place where music and advertising hang out called E&O. Reservations "imperative."

    ReplyDelete