Friday, October 28, 2011

Hot Math

Heard the other day that a couple of geniuses have calculated the number Pi to 10 trllion digits. It took Shigeru Kondo and Alexander Yee over a year and burned out many a hard drive. The room in which they were working heated up to over 104˚ as they worked.

It sounds a little like an experiment Willie Wonka would do with Stephen Hawking if they got together and did way too much cocaine and Mt. Dew. I have no idea if any if this is true because I wouldn’t know how to compute Pi past the nine digits on my calculator.

I don’t really understand the value in doing it. But I’d bet Shigeru and Alexander wouldn’t see the value in watching old West Wing reruns. I’d watch ten trillion of those if I could find a way to compress time. Maybe Shig and Alex could help me with that…?

Truthfully, I’m awed by their accomplishment, and I can only imagine the creative thinking they had to employ to solve the challenge and get to the ten-trillionth digit. And I can only wonder how strong they must be to be able to carry around such big calculators.

No comments:

Post a Comment