Sunday, January 15, 2012

Beefy Fan-Antics


How is fan-dom formed? So many ways.

Some people pass it down in the genes.

Some marry into it.

Some find it along the way.

For any brand with true fans, there’s no one way. My grandpa made me a baseball fan, but he rooted for the Cubs and Sox, and I gravitated to the North side. My son got it from me. I have a nephew who got it by living in Wrigleyville, but we’re all diehard Cubs fans.

Many many many of those diehard Cubs fans gathered over the weekend at the annual Cubs Convention. A larger group of more optimistic yet skeptical fans, you’ll never find.

It was reported in various media sources, cynically by the Chicago Sun-Times, analytically by the New York Times, and respectfully by WGN. None of that was surprising.

These fanatics make me think of another group of fanatics: Chipotle lovers.

Chipotle has done a phenomenal job of creating a brand with a distinct POV and personality, which, combined with good quality, inexpensive food, has created a loyal gathering and, dare I say, a community. Check out the pictures on their Fan-Antics page.

You’ll see pictures of babies in Chipotle gear, brides and grooms feasting on burritos, and those from the elderly set as well. All indications, if you follow the sports model, that Chipotle has truly created a community of loyal devotees.

Somebody tell Theo. Maybe be can get them to sponsor the new scoreboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment