Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Boy, am I dumb. Seriously.

Incredibly stupid blogger alert: I never realized that red velvet cupcakes were really chocolate cupcakes with red food coloring. I thought they were somehow made from a magic recipe that made them taste velvety. I didn’t even get chocolate so much. I just got red. Now I'm just red in the face.

My daughter ruined everything for me tonight when she told me they’re just chocolate cupcakes with red food coloring. It reminded me of the time in high school when the girl I was dating told me that C-O-L-O-N-E-L was pronounced “Kernel,” not “Kollonel.”

Rumors abound about the origin of red velvet, including a Neiman-Marcus Cookie-like story. But to me it just seems like one day there was just vanilla and chocolate, and the next day there were these mysterious, indulgent, red saliva-inducing velvet cupcakes everywhere. And they were awesome.

So where did they come from? There are theories, including stories that go back almost 100 years, which of course makes me feel even dumber (although I suppose they’ve been pronouncing “colonel” correctly for a lot longer).

I bet the person who invented them wishes she got credit for it. Such a great, simple idea. The best kind. Take something that exists already, ask “What If?” and make it 10,000 times better.

3 comments:

  1. So then, why do some people think they are the best thing ever? There has to be something else in there or is it just a sentimental favorite? (my husband falls into this category and so I tried making them once and turned our counter top pink)
    Thanks for the post!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it has a lot to do with the name. How many foods do you know that has anything remotely resembling "Red Velvet" in their names? I've never been a big fan of chopped and reformed fish, but I might really enjoy some Red Velvet Gefilte Fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The folks at Bennison's Bakery, who make THE BEST red velvet everything and that includes a DONUT with CREAM CHEESE FROSTING, agree that you are dumb. The Chief Baker did however also admit to using pomegranete juice, which brings a richer color without affecting the flavor. But I happen to know that Red Velvet recipes are like magic, and only a few select individuals know the real trick.

    ReplyDelete