Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Just because you didn’t get a Genius Grant doesn’t mean you’re not a genius

22 people were awarded MacArthur Foundation "Genius Grants", the no-strings-attached, half a million buck fellowships to spend however they want. The winners were doing all kinds of mediocre things like leading children’s choirs, fighting for elder rights, figuring out how to prevent sports concussions, yadda yadda yadda.

What would I do if I got a MacArthur Genius grant?

Pay Alfonso Soriano for four innings.
Buy a five second ad on the Super Bowl.
Fill my cart all the way to the top at Whole Foods.
Give ipads to all of the needy children in the New Trier school system.
Extend our Cooking Light subscription for 41,667 years
Buy a massive amount of gnocchi and anitpasti from Piccolo Sogno and several ridiculously expensive Barolos and slowly consume it all over a two to three week period

So I guess it would pretty much be wasted on me.

But seriously, if I received a large amount of for-good money...? I would use it to convince every person in the world that they have many creative bones in their body, even if they say they have none. I would design incredibly thought provoking and compelling mechanisms and buy the necessary materials to build them on a massive scale. And we would work (and play) together until they were regularly using the creative side of their brains to figure stuff out and solve tough challenges. And I would then hope to get many many thank-you notes.

What would you do?

2 comments:

  1. Well, I think you are an absolute, complete, wondrous genious. You had me at the Whole Foods thing.

    b

    http://www.retireinstyleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I think you're a wonderful judge of character.

    ReplyDelete